The Galileo is an Arduino compatible development board based on the Intel Quark SoC X1000.
Improvements for Gen 2 are the following:
- 6-pin 3.3V USB TTL UART header replaces 3.5mm jack RS-232 console port for Linux debug. This connector works with standard FTDI USB serial cables and popular USB-to-Serial breakout boards.
- 12 GPIOs now fully native for greater speed and improved drive strength.
- 12-bit pulse-width modulation (PWM) for more precise control and smoother response.
- Console UART1 can be redirected to Arduino* headers in sketches, eliminating the need for soft-serial in many cases.
- 12V Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) capable (PoE module installation required).
- Power regulation system changed to accept power supplies from 7V to 15V.